Like wine? Like Game of Thrones? You’ll love this…
Category Archives: Books & Authors
Another great sci-fi writer – who deserves to be more widely read – has passed on.
I’ve just finished the third volume in Laini Taylor’s fantasy trilogy Daughter of Smoke and Bone. Though aimed at a “young adult” readership, it certainly drew me in. It begins like an urban fantasy as a young girl in contemporary Prague tries to balance her two lives – one as a teenage art student, the other as ward and helper of a benign yet monstrous, otherworldly being. But by the end of the first volume we are plunged into the middle of a war between “angels” and “demons” from a parallel world, and the “urban” elements rapidly recede into the background to be replaced by a strange alien landscape. Continue reading
Here is Dave Gaughran’s excellent guide to self-publishing basics. As I’ve said before though, I don’t think it is necessary to be quite so wary of publishing services businesses as long as you employ some good sense in your dealings with them and do your research first. My experience with the eBook Partnership has been positive, for example, and I think it is an option worth considering for people like me who don’t have much spare time on their hands.
Some nice box sets available from Dave’s post – check it out.
After my marketing post last month, I promised a follow up on box sets. In fact, I’ve gone one better and invited Phoenix Sullivan to do a guest post on the topic.
For those that don’t know Phoenix, she’s a self-published author who also runs her own publishing company – Steel Magnolia Press – together with romance author Jennifer Blake. In the last 18 months, Phoenix has also been experimenting with box sets and, as you will see below, the results have been astounding.
I’ve known Phoenix for a while and no-one knows more about Amazon’s algorithms and marketing e-books. When she invited me to participate – along with bestselling authors Denise Domning, N. Gemini Sasson, Monique Martin, and Michael Wallace…
View original post 1,479 more words
- Reviewing Doctor Who: Series 8, Episodes 7-10 November 21, 2014
- Grimm brothers’ fairytales have blood and horror restored in new translation November 12, 2014
- Boo! October 31, 2014
- Halloween is here! October 31, 2014
- The Babadook review – a superbly acted, chilling Freudian thriller October 24, 2014
- 12 Doctors, 12 stories, 12 jackets – a Doctor Who style celebration! October 22, 2014
- Apocalypse bow-wow: the new breed of arthouse animal horror October 17, 2014
- Reviewing Doctor Who: Series 8, Episodes 1-6 October 15, 2014
- 20 Weird GIFs That Belong in Another Dimension October 7, 2014
- These Are The Most Terrifying, Ghostly GIFs On The Internet October 7, 2014
- Gotham state of mind: what do comics tell us about cities? October 7, 2014
- Scared to death: has horror fiction run out of common fears to trade on? August 15, 2014
- The dream of invisibility August 10, 2014
- Watch: Queen’s Guards playing Game of Thrones theme music July 21, 2014
- Dawn of the Planet of the Apes: how scientifically plausible is it? July 21, 2014
Mark Winter on TwitterMy Tweets